signals handling in the kernel

Mirek23 miroslaw.dach at psi.ch
Mon Aug 20 21:49:05 EST 2007

Thank you for you suggestions. Sorry for the dealy but I was on holidays.

I understand that select() is more appropriate solution to handle
interrupts.
In my case I found somehow more convenient to deal with signals. The server
program which I use was originally written for VxWorks. In VxWorks there was
no separation betwenn the user and kernel space. When the interrupt occured
in VxWorks the interrupt service routine was called. The interrupt service
routine was implemented in the server.

I found it somehow easier to use signals to trigger signal handler
(previously in VxWorks interrupt service routine) than changing the
structure of the server to deal with select().

I hope however that there is no fundamental problem with sending signals
from kernel (interrupt service routine) to the user space.
I do not know why the function kill_proc_info does not export its symbol
within the kernel 2.6.21 .
With previous version of the kernel 2.4 and early 2.6.* the kill_proc_info
symbol was exported.

Best Regards

Mirek