signals handling in the kernel

Mirek23 miroslaw.dach at psi.ch
Wed Aug 8 18:15:20 EST 2007

Hi Dave,

     I have found the book by Rubini you have mentioned:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdrive3/book/index.csp

I did not find however what would be the best way to propagate interrupt
signals to the USER level / notify the client that interrupt has occurred.

I have checked also in the kernel 2.4 kernel/signal.c file and
kill_proc_info symbol was there exported but in the kernel 2.6 it is not a
case. I have modified the kernel/signal.c file inserting the line:

EXPORT_SYMBOL(kill_proc_info);

and I use the kill_proc_info straight from the interrupt handler routine. I
do not know however if it is a safe
solution. This what does not work with kill_proc_info is that (struct
siginfo *) pInfo->si_value.sival_int
is not passed to the user space. To pass an integer value I use (struct
siginfo *) pInfo->si_code instead.
This works but it is not an elegant solution since the si_code is meant to
be used for something else.

Best Regards

Mirek