signals handling in the kernel

Mirek23 miroslaw.dach at psi.ch
Tue Aug 7 21:32:54 EST 2007

Hi All,

    I would like to send signals from the interrupt handler routine (in the
kernel) to the user application (in user space).
I have googled on that net and I have found that it could be done with the
function:
kill_proc_info.

When I have compiled my module which uses the kill_proc_info I have got and
error messge:

WARNING: "kill_proc_info" [drivers/char/xilinx_gpio/xilinx_gpio.ko]
undefined!
make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
make: *** [modules] Error 2

The  kill_proc_info source code is in the kernel/signal.c file. Due to
unknown reason the kill_proc_info symbol is not exported with EXPORT_SYMBOL
entry.

I can modify the file kernel/signal.c adding the line
EXPORT_SYMBOL(kill_proc_info) but maybe it is a good reason in order not to
use this function straight. If so what would be the best way to send a
signal form the kernel interrupt handler routine to the user space together
with the siginfo data.

Best Regards

Mirek