Xilinx , Ml403, Linux And Money!

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Tue Apr 17 07:10:23 EST 2007

On Monday 05 March 2007 00:40, Mohammad Sadegh Sadri wrote:
> Finally we see montavista asking for your registration before allowing you
> to download the preview kit, and then their answer "you are not allowed to
> access the prev kit because .... ..... "
>
> I was expecting linux kernel source to be free .... But it seems that it is
> not free at all.

You should reread the GPL license!
No one is REQUIRED to GIVE ANYONE their source.

But as a customer you should get it:
1) If you get binaries for the kernel you should be able to get the source.
2) If you are an end user, you should be able to get the source
(Unless it is a binary independently developed from the kernel -
then it is a legal question to solve in a court...)

Ohh.. And the linux kernel IS free!
http://www.kernel.org/
http://www.denx.de/en/News/PressReleaseELDK41

/RogerL