gdb & kgdb in MPC85xx

Charles Krinke ckrinke at istor.com
Mon Apr 16 02:32:09 EST 2007

I have a question relating to stepping with gdb connected to a remote target. I can connect to the target with its ttyS1 and 'list', 'break' just fine. This is with a Linux-2.6.17.11 kernel and gdb 6.5.

A 'cont' begets a message, and a step fails to return. I am hoping someone can offer a suggestion or two.
As an example, I start from uboot with the kernel command line containing 'kgdbwait kgdb=ttyS1,115200' and the target stops at 'setup_arch: kgdb breakpoint' as I would expect. I am using a USB serial dongle, which has worked well for this type of debugging on other targets.

$ .../linux
$ ppc-gdb vmlinux [its version 6.5 cross from ultsol]
(gdb) show architeture   [its powerpc:common]
(gdb) show verbose       [its on]
(gdb) target remote /dev/ttyUSB0
(gdb) list               [works fine]
(gdb) break do_fork      [sets fine]
(gdb) cont
[some problem here as gdb says
"Can't send signals to this remote system. SIGILL not sent."
but the breakpoint is taken and the target stops at the beginning of do_fork]
(gdb) step
[big problem now as the step never returns]

Charles Krinke