Advice on Linux Framebuffer driver implemetation

Carlos Munoz carlos at kenati.com
Fri Apr 6 09:13:36 EST 2007

Akhilesh Soni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want advice on how to proceed for the following problem
>
> As per my knowledge the *Linux frame buffer* requires the pixel data
> to be in a packed pixel *contiguous buffer*. This means that the all
> the data for one pixel must be packed together, followed by the data
> for the next pixel, etc.(please correct me if I'm wrong)
>
>  On my Set-top-box hardware Vulcan (IBM ppc405),  the best
> resolution supported  in this packed pixel format is 8bpp color table
> format. Vulcan resolutions above the 8bpp color table resolution
>  require separate  luma and chroma buffers,  where the hardware
> expects all the luma values to be in one buffer and all chroma values
> to be in another buffer. Since the data for the resolutions above 8bpp
> are required by the hardware to be in separate luma and chroma buffers
> it does not meet the LInux Frame buffer requirement of packed pixel data.
> Now how can I overcome this limitation where graphics H/W expects
> separate Luma and Chroma buffers whereas linux framebuffer expect all
> things packed. Is there any such driver already present which I can
> study to overcome such limitation.
Hi Akhilesh,

I would write a new frame buffer driver for your hardware that converts
RGB565 data (or whatever format is passed to the frame buffer) to
luma/chroma data. There might be some open source libraries that already
do this conversion. Writing a frame buffer driver is not very difficult.

Carlos