Advice on Linux Framebuffer driver implemetation

Akhilesh Soni akhilesh at innomedia.soft.net
Wed Apr 4 16:19:42 EST 2007

Hello,

I want advice on how to proceed for the following problem

As per my knowledge the Linux frame buffer requires the pixel data to be in a packed pixel contiguous buffer. This means that the all the data for one pixel must be packed together, followed by the data for the next pixel, etc.(please correct me if I'm wrong)

 On my Set-top-box hardware Vulcan (IBM ppc405),  the best resolution supported  in this packed pixel format is 8bpp color table format. Vulcan resolutions above the 8bpp color table resolution  require separate  luma and chroma buffers,  where the hardware expects all the luma values to be in one buffer and all chroma values to be in another buffer. Since the data for the resolutions above 8bpp are required by the hardware to be in separate luma and chroma buffers it does not meet the LInux Frame buffer requirement of packed pixel data.

Now how can I overcome this limitation where graphics H/W expects separate Luma and Chroma buffers whereas linux framebuffer expect all things packed. Is there any such driver already present which I can study to overcome such limitation.

I'm using Montavista linux kernel 2.4.20 on IBM stb0x25xxx(ppc405 core).

Regards,
Akhilesh

believed to be clean.