Linux not booting consistantly

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Fri Sep 22 14:50:20 EST 2006

Hi Jeff,

On Friday 22 September 2006 03:04, Jeff Stevens wrote:
> ## Booting image at 00200000 ...
>    Image Name:   Linux-2.6.15
>    Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip
> compressed)
>    Data Size:    1067371 Bytes =  1 MB
>    Load Address: 00000000
>    Entry Point:  00000000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
>    Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
>
>   Could this be a memory issue (i.e. bad memory
> configuration)?  Though, if it were a memory issue,
> wouldn't the kernel fail to uncompress successfully?

No, not necessarily. U-Boot normally hasn't D-cache enabled on 440 platforms,
so while uncompressing the kernel no bursts are generated to the SDRAM. And
with the bursts the "real fun" begins. ;-)

So, yes: I also think you have a memory problem.

> Does anyone have any ideas why it would work about
> once every 10 - 20 resets?

Did you try to analyze where it crashes?

http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/LinuxPostMortemAnalysis

Best regards,
Stefan