Linux not booting consistantly

Jeff Stevens jsteve17 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 22 11:04:44 EST 2006

I have a custom AMCC 440SP board, with 1GB DDR2, and
32MB of flash.  I am having an issue with the linux
kernel, where I can get it to boot every once and a
while by power-cycling or pressing the reset button,
the rest of the time it hangs after uncompressing the
kernel:

## Booting image at 00200000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.15
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip
compressed)
   Data Size:    1067371 Bytes =  1 MB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK

  Could this be a memory issue (i.e. bad memory
configuration)?  Though, if it were a memory issue,
wouldn't the kernel fail to uncompress successfully?
Does anyone have any ideas why it would work about
once every 10 - 20 resets?

Thanks,
   Jeff Stevens