Kernel module insertion issue with kernel 2.6.15

Prakash Jain prakash at ipinfusion.com
Sat Sep 16 05:56:59 EST 2006

Hi,
I am relatively new to this list/area, not sure if this is right forum
for my query (please point me to right list in that case).

I am porting my software from 2.4 kernel to 2.6.15 on a board similar to
ppc 82xx  sandpoint architecture. I am able to make the board functional
except the following issue. One of my kernel module (inserted thru
insmod) takes almost 6-7 minutes to load with 2.6 kernel while it used
to take only few seconds with 2.4 kernel. Yet, after the long wait
module is inserted correctly with 2.6 kernel as board software works
fine after that. When I halt the processor (using BDI2000) during the
long wait, it always halts in function get_plt_size() in kernel's
arch/ppc/kernel/module.c. Single stepping does not take to any error or
suspicious place. Looks like it is going thru the long for() loop in the
function. Only suspicion I got is while compiling the module, it
generates tons of undefined symbols. I ignored them as it was a third
party software and module inserts correctly at the end.

Can someone give few pointers on what could be the reasons and where to
look to resolve this? Will appreciate your time,
Thanks,
Prakash