82xx fcc_enet problem between Linux 2.4 and 2.6

Laurent Lagrange lagrange at fr.oleane.com
Sat Sep 2 00:26:02 EST 2006

Hello Alex,

> > I have ported Linux 2.6.9 on different boards and I noticed
> > that I have tx carrier errors on my FCC ports. Almost one
> > error per xmit.
> I have experienced same problem. I suppose you are using the old
> fcc driver in /arch/ppc
Yes that's right.

> > I reinstalled Linux 2.4.18 on these boards and I have NO ERROR.
> > The errors arise with PHY configured in 100M full duplex (or autoneg).
> > The FCC has the same duplex as PHY.
> Are you sure? In my case, the problem was that while the PHY had autoneg
> to full-duplex, the MAC kept in half-duplex mode
I have modified some code in fcc_enet.c for Linux 2.4 to manage PHY as I
wanted.
Perhaps was I in luck to correct something wrong. I checked that the duplex
were identical for FCC and PHY and I had no carrier error.

> > I think this is not a phy or hardware problem but rather a
> FCC configuration mismatch in fcc_enet.c.
> Yes. But I think the driver has been obsoleted by fs_enet one,
> so modifiying it now has no sense.
Yes I retreived fs_enet in Linux 2.6.15 and I'll try it.
This driver seems to appear in Linux 2.6.11 tree not before.
Is it right ?

Thanks very much for your reply.
Best regards
Laurent