82xx fcc_enet problem between Linux 2.4 and 2.6

Bastos Fernandez Alexandre alebas at televes.com
Fri Sep 1 21:43:20 EST 2006

Laurent,

> I work on several custom 82xx boards with Linux 2.4 and 2.6.
>
> I have ported Linux 2.6.9 on different boards and I noticed
> that I have tx carrier errors on my FCC ports. Almost one
> error per xmit.

I have experienced same problem. I suppose you are using the old
fcc driver in /arch/ppc

> I reinstalled Linux 2.4.18 on these boards and I have NO ERROR.
>
> The errors arise with PHY configured in 100M full duplex (or autoneg).
> The FCC has the same duplex as PHY.

Are you sure? In my case, the problem was that while the PHY had autoneg
to full-duplex, the MAC kept in half-duplex mode

> [...]
>
> I think this is not a phy or hardware problem but rather a FCC configuration
> mismatch in fcc_enet.c.

Yes. But I thing the driver has been obsoleted by fs_enet one,
so modifiying it now has no sense.

Best regards,

Alex BASTOS