Unable to build ELDK 4.0

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 1 01:58:57 EST 2006

Dear Phil,

in message <3E8081396F6B524BA2854E7FA3F16438042EB1DB at mail.innocon.com> you wrote:

> I am attempting to build the ELDK kernel using the directions in
> /home/mathews/ELDK/ppc_6xx/usr/src/linux-2.6.15/README.  The makefile is

Please also RTFM: http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/Manual?stickboard=yosemite ,
especially section "6.2. Kernel Configuration and Compilation":
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/LinuxConfiguration#Section_6.2.

Note that I selected the DULG-version  for  a  board  for  which  2.6
kernel support is available.

> trying to execute powerPC code (fixdep) on my Pentium box.  Where can I
> get a X86 version of this program?

This is a consequence of wrong make commands.

> ##### Make attempt:
> mathews at mathews:~/ELDK/ppc_6xx/usr/src/linux-2.6.15> make
> O=/home/name/build/kernel menuconfig

You must pass correct ARCH= and CROSS_COMPILE= arguments when running
make, i. e.

	make ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_6xx- ... menuconfig

etc. Also make sure to start from a clean  source  tree,  i.  e.  run
"make mrproper" to clean up before configuring your board.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A modem is a baudy house.