System ACE driver - for 2.6 kernel - need help to understand xsa_thread

Ameet Patil ammubhai at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 18:00:48 EST 2006

Hi Junita,
    Its a hack really! When I was developing/porting the SysAce driver
to 2.6 I tried to maintain the code as is from the 2.4 kernel driver. In
doing so I found that there is a slight difference between the two
kernels. i.e. I am not sure why, but the sysace device can only handle
requests for 2 sectors at a time. This was fine in the 2.4 as the kernel
always requested 2 sectors. However, in 2.6 I found that this is
different: the requests are 8 secs. or more. I tried to fix this in vain
by changing several parameters of the driver during initialization.
Anyway, due to several issues I didn't try hard to fix it at that time.

Hence this hack: No matter how many sec. req. I get from the kernel, I
use a loop to req. only 2 secs. at a time. The xsa_device.req_done is
used as a flag and reset in the XSA IRQ IIRC.

If you find a better approach, please do update me. Hope this helps!

cheers,
-Ameet