how to reserve memory in linux?

Ming Liu eemingliu at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 22 00:22:25 EST 2006

Dear sudheer,
About the "mem=xx" argument, I checked it from the website and got such a
explanation:

This argument has several purposes: The original purpose was to specify the
amount of installed memory (or a value less than that if you wanted to
limit the amount of memory available to linux).

>From the argument above, it says "mem=xx" is to specify the amount of
memory available to Linux. I am not sure if I am right, but I think if I
use such an argument, that reserved part (that 5MB you mentioned), is not
available any more for Linux to access it.

My original meaning is: specify a fixed physical address for a mount of
memory for reserved use. The point is to make this part of memory fixed in
the memory of physical address, and then another I/O peripheral could use
DMA to access such a fixed physical address memory. However if I don't
reserve such a part, I must let Linux to allocate such a memory part. And
then Linux will not put it in a fixed physical address and then the
peripheral will not know where is this part.

Am I right? Thanks for your idea.

Also other ideas are appreciated.

Regards
Ming