how to reserve memory in linux?

a sudheer urwithsudheer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 15:15:01 EST 2006

Hello Ming Lu

On 10/20/06, Ming Liu <eemingliu at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
> My situation is, I want to reserve some amount of memory and make it
> shared
> by both Linux kernel and another hardware peripheral. That is, when I boot
> linux and execute some user space programs, this part of memory should be
> reserved for other use and cannot be used by both the kernel and those
> applications.

Considering your setup as normal desktop, I hope this can be done by giving
"mem= xxm"  as the boot arguments.  Say the dmesg in your system shows   "
495MB LOWMEM available."  .  In the boot arguments you can give mem=490m
saying the linux to use only 490MB . The rest 5MB can be used later as you
wish.

Please correct if i am wrong.

Thanks
Sudheer

But it could be accessed by Linux with some certain kind of