RFC: embedded ppc rootfs?

David H. Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasys.net
Wed Nov 15 17:00:01 EST 2006

Kumar Gala wrote:
> I was wondering what people are using for their projects as
> "distro's" for their root file systems.  I spent this weekend trying
> to get several of the alternatives I could find working on a ppc64
> host system with out much success.
>
> I'm interested in two aspects of this question.  One, are their
> projects that I missed that people are using on ppc (eldk, buildroot,
> lfs, ltib).  Two, is there an need for a better open source embedded
> distro for ppc?  And if so, do people have the ability to pitch in
> some effort towards producing a better distro?

    I am booting to an intramfs. I used busybox for the basic tools. It
is small and easy - the intramfs just merges into a single zImage.elf file.
    It is supposed to be embedded so I am not looking to provide a full
development environment, just the minimum needed to run whatever
    Linux applications and services a client chooses for their embedded
system.
    I do not need/want a Distro (I am not against Distro's,  but the key
word is embedded).
    Soon we will likely do something like an fuse/sshfs mount to support
a native embedded development environment.