Help Needed: floating point used in kernel (task=c0398410, pc=3184)

sandeep malik malik_mca2000 at yahoo.co.in
Wed May 24 16:12:05 EST 2006

Hi All...

  I am trying to run an application compiled with gcc toolchain gcc--3.4.3 and glibc -2.3.4 on PPC 8325 board running Linux 2.6.11....but some how I am getting following error....

  floating point used in kernel (task=c0398410, pc=3184)
  floating point used in kernel (task=c0398410, pc=3184)
  floating point used in kernel (task=c0398410, pc=3184)
  floating point used in kernel (task=c0398410, pc=3184)
  floating point used in kernel (task=c0398410, pc=3184)
  floating point used in kernel (task=c0398410, pc=3184)

  I was suspecting this error might be because the hardware is not supporting floating point operations and hence i tried a simple program in which I intentionally did some floating point operation but that program was running as expected. So i concluded that it is not a problem related to floating point operations....I even tried compiling the application with classic ppc compiler(Ver 3.4.3) with -msoft-float option enabled, but still the results were same......

  After these errors i am not able to get control of the system. If anyone who faced this or any such related issue please help me out like what could be probable reason for this error and what all options i have to debug this issue.....

  Thanks & Regards,
  Malik