question about linux with Xilinx ML-403

Rick Moleres rick.moleres at xilinx.com
Wed May 24 07:21:54 EST 2006

Ming,

-----Original Message-----
From: Ming Liu [mailto:eemingliu at hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 3:42 AM
To: rick.moleres
Cc: linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org
Subject: question about linux with Xilinx ML-403

Hi Rick,

> Yes, we have a driver for the PLB TEMAC (different than the GSRD LL

> TEMAC) for Linux 2.4 (MontaVista Linux 2.4.20) that's shipped in EDK

> 8.1.1, and MontaVista is on the verge of publishing a driver for PLB

> TEMAC for Linux 2.6. (I believe it came across this mailing list a few

> weeks ago)

I have generated the BSP by EDK 8.1.1 for my project in ML403(hardcore

Temac and PLB Temac included). I noticed that there is a directory
called

Xilinx_gige in the directory of /drivers/net. Is this the driver for

MontaVista Linux2.4.20?

Yes, this is the PLB TEMAC driver for Linux 2.4.20.  In EDK 8.1.x, the
temac driver and Makefile are copied to drivers/net/xilinx_gige.  This
xilinx_gige directory is not available in the MVL 3.1 Preview Kit, only
in the full Professional kit.  We put the temac driver here mostly to
take advantage of the JUMBO_FRAME_SUPPORT in kernel configuration.

 I copied the BSP and overwrote the original one in

the linux kernel directory (in the kernel directory, there is only a

directory called Xilinx_enet, no Xilinx_gige. So I just copied

Xilinx_gige.). However, my problem is in the menuconfig item of Network

Device Support->1000Mbit ethernet, there is not any option to choose and

enable the Xilinx on-chip ethernet. Is this a problem of MontaVista
Linux

3.1 Preview Kit, or my problem?  And What shall I do to enable the
tri-mode

Temac in my platform? Thanks for your answer.

Our best recommendation is to use the drivers/net/xilinx_enet directory
for the temac driver and just enable the Xilinx 10/100 Ethernet in
menuconfig.  If you want jumbo frame support, modify adapter.c in the
driver to define the CONFIG_XILINX_GIGE_JUMBO constant.

Note that Linux 2.6 support for the temac should be available from
MontaVista soon and a driver was pushed to this mailing list in March.
There will be support for MV Linux 2.6 in EDK 8.2.1 (around August).

Thanks,

Rick