kernel debugging

Steve Iribarne (GMail) netstv at gmail.com
Fri May 5 05:51:26 EST 2006

On 5/4/06, David H. Lynch Jr. <dhlii at dlasys.net> wrote:
>     Everyone has their own debugging style.
>
>     Engineers seem to like hardware debugging tools. I have used some
> very fancy debugging hardware, but except for extremely rare instances
> it is more work to get setup
>     and figure out what you are trying to do than inserting some
> debugging and rebuilding.
>
>     My idea of debugging hardware is a port with an LED on it I can try
> to blink.
>
>     I also only rarely use software debuggers.
>
>     Most of the time when things go off the rails the critical question
> for me is Where did things go wrong. Once I know that usually the
> problem is obvious and I do nto need dumps of variables or memory.
>
>     I also do development across numerous platforms, OS's and languages.
> I need debugging tools and techniques that are broadly portable. A
> hardware debugging tool might help with board bringup, but it would be
> of little use
>     for web or perl programming. Investing time and capitol in highly
> specialized tools or knowledge requires being narrowly focused to get a
> worthwhile payback.
>
>     Regardless, I think debugging is a sort of religious preference. You
> need to know who you are and what you need. Other peoples experience is
> useful but should not be determinative.

Yes I am finding this out.  It's a long journey!  :)

Most of the issues I have to deal with are systems that are already up
and running in the PPC world and I come in afterwords to clean up.  So
for example, right now I think I have a DMA problem that is crashing
my PPC and rebooting the system.

To be sure, I would love to step over a few instructions and slow the
world down a bit.  That's why I was going to setup kgdb or something
like that.

Thanks.

-stv