Moving from 2.4 to 2.6 kernel

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Fri May 5 04:11:33 EST 2006

On 5/4/06, Chris Dumoulin <cdumoulin at ics-ltd.com> wrote:
> I am trying to take a working embedded linux system from kernel 2.4 to
> 2.6. The hardware is a custom board using a Virtex II Pro with PPC405
> processor.
> The working system uses u-boot 1.1.1 with linux kernel 2.4.18.
>
> I am using the same u-boot and I am trying to port linux kernel 2.6.15
> to our platform. Using the stuff from the working 2.4 kernel port and
> other PPC4xx platforms in the 2.6.15 code as examples, I believe I have
> done everything required to get the kernel booting. However, the kernel
> seems to hang after being uncompressed. Here is what I see after running
> bootm from u-boot:

The V2pro is already supported in the 2.6 kernel.  Are you using that
code; or starting from scratch?  V2Pro (ML300) and V4FX (ML403) are
both supported in the latest 2.6 kernel.

I had similar problems when I was porting to the V4FX.  Do you have a
JTAG debugger (Like a BDI-2000)?  I think your best bet is to get in
there with a debugger to find out where it goes off into Lala land.

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc. P.Eng.