Moving from 2.4 to 2.6 kernel

Chris Dumoulin cdumoulin at ics-ltd.com
Fri May 5 03:32:33 EST 2006

I am trying to take a working embedded linux system from kernel 2.4 to
2.6. The hardware is a custom board using a Virtex II Pro with PPC405
processor.
The working system uses u-boot 1.1.1 with linux kernel 2.4.18.

I am using the same u-boot and I am trying to port linux kernel 2.6.15
to our platform. Using the stuff from the working 2.4 kernel port and
other PPC4xx platforms in the 2.6.15 code as examples, I believe I have
done everything required to get the kernel booting. However, the kernel
seems to hang after being uncompressed. Here is what I see after running
bootm from u-boot:

## Booting image at 00400000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.15 ICS
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    605592 Bytes = 591.4 kB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
   Image Name:   SELF CRD
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    1430581 Bytes =  1.4 MB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK

My first thought was that I was simply not setting up the console
properly, and was not seeing the printk output, but I don't think I'm
even getting that far. I tried flashing an LED in start_kernel (in the
file init/main.c) and also in my platform_init function, but I get
nothing. I think the kernel is hanging somewhere very early on, maybe
when the MMU is enabled. I tried looking at the log buffer by following
the steps in section 14.3.3 of the DULG (Linux Post Mortem Analysis),
but I don't see anything there.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,
Chris
--
*--Christopher Dumoulin--*
Software Team Leader

<http://ics-ltd.com/>
<http://ics-ltd.com/>

Interactive Circuits and Systems Ltd.
5430 Canotek Road
Ottawa, ON
K1J 9G2
(613)749-9241
1-800-267-9794 (USA only)

This e-mail is private and confidential and is for the addressee only.
If misdirected, please notify us by telephone and confirm that it has
been deleted from your system and any hard copies destroyed. You are
strictly prohibited from using, printing, distributing or disseminating
it or any information contained in it save to the intended recipient.