question about Linux 2.6 with Xilinx ML-403

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Tue May 2 14:09:47 EST 2006

On 5/1/06, yding <yding at lnxw.com> wrote:
>  HI, Grant,
>
>  It looks like that the patch for ML-403 in Linux 2.6.17 kernel(I downloaded
> from Linus git tree) does not have the directory :
> ./arch/ppc/platform/4xx/xilinx_ocp like the one in the
> 2.4.30 kernel.

That's right.  AFAIK, The 2.6 kernel is not yet supported by the
Xilinx EDK tools; and so it cannot generate a 2.6 BSP.  If you want to
use the generated BSP; use the montavista 2.4 kernel.

>  And also, I saw this thread: "Migrate Xilinx Vertex support from the OCP
> bus to the platfom bus"
>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=3933
>  Does it mean all of onchip peripherals for Virtex-4 FX must reside on the
> PLB bus instead of OPB (OCB) bus ?

No.  Platform bus is a Linux construct to make it simpler to handle
"directly attached" devices.  ie. Anything that the processor can
access directly w/o PCI et all.  OPB and PLB devices are both
'platform' devices in Linux 2.6 terminology.

>  (i.e. during the process of creating the ref design for Linux using Xilinx
> Platform studio, I have to select PLB peripherals instead of OPB
> peripherals. Is is correct ?)

No, use whatever peripherals you want (either PLB, or OPB).  Just be
prepared to port device drivers for anything beyond a serial port.

>  BTW, do you have a sample ref design for ML-403 board for Xilinx Platform
> studio ?

Why not use the ref design that Xilinx provides?  (I have a number of
designs that work; but most of the time I use the ML403 ref design
because I know it's proven)

Cheers,
g.

--