Bestcomm Firmware update

bennett78 bennett78 at digis.net
Fri Mar 31 09:23:49 EST 2006

SoSoComm Dudes:

  I was able to contact Davide Santo, AN2604 "Introduction to BestComm".
He admitted
the short commings of his document in the area of Firmware instruction
info and gave
me a name of a guy, Ed in the ASIC design area in Austin.  Ed has agreed
to answer
questions, push for resources to provide a support tool and provided me
with a document
from their head programmer "SmartDMA Hand-Assembly Guides" (see attached
pdf).

With this secret decoded ring I was able to put together a disassembler,
see attached
disasm.c. Cut and paste your favorite Task into fw[] array at the
beginning,
"cc -o d disasm.c ; d"  It's not perfect, but useful- Enjoy.  Sorry I'm not
sure where or if you guys want to check this stuff into a git
repository, somewhere
and hope ozlabs is not fussy about attachments!

If we can formulate a list of questions Ed might be able to help, I'll
start:
    o what does init=31 mean?
       AN2604 say init=0 means always requestor and 31 is reserved but
referenced
       alot in the F/W comments
    o Need more info on how MORE works
    o Tell us about LCD levels. Only 2? (let's call a LCD indent a level)
      LCD seems to reset DRD to 1A. DRD2B1or2 follow a DRD2A (ext=1)?
    o LCD[28:23]orLCD[20:15] or LCD[11:6] what is extraN?
        drop 101nnn - extraN
        add  1nnnnn - indexN
    o how many DRD2B1[2] can be stacked up?
    o when is/can a LDC Literal used? and how?

*/Frank Bennett
Technical Contractor/*

/Triad Systems Engineering
200 West Mountain Avenue