glibc, Perl for ppc440GX - compile problems

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 17 07:07:02 EST 2006

In message <44198DCB.90508 at googlemail.com> you wrote:

> I'm trying to compile glibc-2.4 on my system but I have the error:

In your subject you mention Perl - what has glibc to do with it?

> running configure fragment for sysdeps/powerpc/powerpc32/elf
> checking for powerpc32 TLS support... yes
> running configure fragment for sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/powerpc
> checking whether gcc -g -O2 -mlong-double-128 uses IBM extended format... no
> checking whether gcc -g -O2 supports -mabi=ibmlongdouble... no
> configure: error: this configuration requires -mlong-double-128 IBM
> extended format support

Are you running the native  compiler  on  the  board,  or  the  cross
compiler? Did you apply all eventually needed patches?

> compiler : GCC 4.0.0 (DENX ELDK 4.0 4.0.0-1), the CPU is PPC440GX,
> Ocotea based board with own design.

Which architecture did you select? ppc_4xx- ??

> I'm thinking that, the 440GX is not gut supported from GCC 4.0.0 compiler.
> Do anobody already compile glibc and Perl for this platform, or can I
> find from somewhere .RPM packages?

We build Perl without any problems.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A meeting is an event at which the minutes are kept and the hours are
lost.