Stable Linux kernel 2.6 for MPC8XX

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Fri Mar 10 18:22:42 EST 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 15:29, Fillod Stephane wrote:
> >I would want to use a linux kernel 2.6 on a custom MPC8xx board.
> >Which stable kernel release must or can I use ?
>
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/bin/view/Know/Linux24vs26

I believe most of those observations and measurements are not valid anymore.
Kernel 2.6 for 8xx has come a long way since this article was written. It
might have been true back then, but it surely isn't anymore.
Kernel 2.6 is bigger than 2.4, that's a fact, but application performance is
actually slightly higher with 2.6.14 than it is with 2.4.25.
The overall robustness and "niceness" of the code is also a totally different
story now. 2.6 software architecture is definitely better, and many drivers
are much more stable. Implementing board support and drivers in 2.6 is also
much easier and cleaner than in 2.4.

Greetings,

--
David Jander