no login prompt with ml403 + uartlite-->major numbers?

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Jun 29 01:06:41 EST 2006

On 6/28/06, Robert Zach <rza1 at so-logic.co.at> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I use the "Standart" ml403 Design with the uartlite instead of the
> uart16550...
>
> my kernel parameters are:
> "console=ttl0 ip=off root=/dev/xsysace/disc0/part3 rw"
>
> It boots correctly, but i got no login prompt!!
> getty is started with init.
> my inittab looks like:
> ::respawn:/sbin/getty 9600 ttl0

Looks ok.  busybox I assume.  You might try:

ttl0::respawn:/sbin/getty 9600 ttl0

You could try just launching a shell on the console.  Then you can
look around and see what's there:

::respace:/bin/sh

> I use devfs.

Ugh.  You should turn off devfs and build a static /dev folder for the
time being.  Otherwise you've got no idea if devfs is putting the
right things into /dev.  If you *really* want to, you can go back to
devfs later (but I don't recommend it).

> Is the inittab entry correct?

I think so

> Which device is the uartlite in devfs?

I don't know; read the source.  Look for where it registers with devfs
to get the expected name.  Does the uartlite driver you're using even
support devfs?

> Which major numbers uses the uartlite?

I don't know; it should be easy to find in the driver source

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc. P.Eng.