MPC8548 PCIe / PCI support with BSP MPC8548CDS 02/24/2006

Florian Boelstler euphoria at arcor.de
Mon Jun 26 20:48:27 EST 2006

Hi,

I am currently working on a MPC8548-based development system.
Linux kernel version is 2.6.11 with patches delivered from Freescale
(BSP MPC8548CDS 02/24/2006).

Kernel configuration contains a warning message for CONFIG_PEX:
"This requires hardware modification to work correctly if your CPU
version < 2.0 and will break the PCI bus. [...]"

I was wondering whether enabling PCIe makes PCI bus functionality
unusable at all (including kernel functionality for detecting devices
behind a transparent PCI-to-PCI bridge).

Our setup connects a transparent PLX8516 PCI-to-PCI bridge to the PCIe
port of the MPC8548 daughter board. Behind that bridge is another PCIe
capable device.
MPC8548 is configured to run as PCIe host mode.

When trying to lookup the PCIe devices using lspci I can only see the
PPC itself and the bridge.
However I cannot see the device(s) behind the bridge.

Is there another method for detecting PCI(e) devices?
Is "BSP MPC8548CDS 02/24/2006" the latest version corresponding to that
hardware?

Thanks in advance,

   Florian