Adding an external interrupt controller

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at tbox.biz
Wed Jun 21 19:46:34 EST 2006

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to write a driver for a custom extension bus mapped in my MPC8248
memory space.

The bus has 32 interrupt lines which are handled by an interrupt controller
connected to a single external interrupt on the MPC8248.

I've had a look at the Linux interrupt management code, but haven't found any
easy API to add an external interrupt controller. Could someone give me a few
pointers regarding how to proceed ? I would like to "register" the interrupt
controller with the interrupt management core, so that
request_irq()/free_irq() could be used with the extra interrupts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Laurent Pinchart

PS: If this is not architecture-specific and should be asked on the
linux-kernel mailing list, please let me know.