Interrupt occurs but UIC0 MSR is still 0

Chris Dumoulin cdumoulin at ics-ltd.com
Fri Jun 16 07:38:19 EST 2006

Hi All,
I'm working with a 2.6 linux kernel in a board with a PPC405 in a Virtex
II Pro FPGA. I'm trying to generate interrupts and handle them in a
device driver that I've written.
Here is the sequence of events that happen currently:
1. I generate an interrupt by setting registers in an interrupt
controller we've got in the FPGA (it's a Xilinx LogicCORE OPB Interrupt
Controller).
2. The function do_IRQ, in arch/powerpc/kernel/irq.c, is called.
3. ppc_md.get_irq is called from do_IRQ.
4. ppc_md.get_irq points to ppc4xx_pic_get_irq in
arch/ppc/syslib/ppc4xx_pic.c.
5. ppc4xx_pic_get_irq reads the MSR from UIC0 to determine the IRQ. In
my case, the MSR is all zero, so ppc4xx_pic_get_irq returns -1.
6. After this, we return from the interrupt, and do_IRQ is called again
and again, going through the same steps indefinitely.

I've looked at the UIC0 registers, and the SR, MSR, and ER registers are
all 0. How can an interrupt be triggered, but all the UIC0 bits are 0?
Is it possible that I'm not actually accessing UIC0? I've got the
following in my arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/my_board.h file:
#define DCRN_UIC0_BASE 0x0C0
#define UIC0 DCRN_UIC0_BASE

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris Dumoulin
--
*--Christopher Dumoulin--*
Software Team Leader

<http://ics-ltd.com/>
<http://ics-ltd.com/>

Interactive Circuits and Systems Ltd.
5430 Canotek Road
Ottawa, ON
K1J 9G2
(613)749-9241
1-800-267-9794 (USA only)

This e-mail is private and confidential and is for the addressee only.
If misdirected, please notify us by telephone and confirm that it has
been deleted from your system and any hard copies destroyed. You are
strictly prohibited from using, printing, distributing or disseminating
it or any information contained in it save to the intended recipient.