help with inittab

Chris Dumoulin cdumoulin at ics-ltd.com
Sat Jun 10 02:14:52 EST 2006

I've now determined that my kernel seems to stop in the following line
of code, in the function init(void * unused), in init/main.c:
run_init_process("/sbin/init");
I've determined that it stops at this call by stepping through the code
with a BDI2000.

My boot arguments are:
console=ttyS0,57600n8 ip=off root=/dev/ram0 rw

My current inittab is:
::sysinit:/etc/rc.sh
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a
::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
::restart:/sbin/init
::respawn:/bin/sh

I've tried adding an "echo" command to the /etc/rc.sh script that is
called, but I don't see any output. I've also trying changing the
::sysinit line in inittab to point to some non-existent script, to see
if I'll get some error message, but I still see nothing. Is it possible
that /sbin/init is dying before it gets to the point of reading inittab?
Any ideas?

Regards,
Chris Dumoulin

--
*--Christopher Dumoulin--*
Software Team Leader

<http://ics-ltd.com/>
<http://ics-ltd.com/>

Interactive Circuits and Systems Ltd.
5430 Canotek Road
Ottawa, ON
K1J 9G2
(613)749-9241
1-800-267-9794 (USA only)

This e-mail is private and confidential and is for the addressee only.
If misdirected, please notify us by telephone and confirm that it has
been deleted from your system and any hard copies destroyed. You are
strictly prohibited from using, printing, distributing or disseminating
it or any information contained in it save to the intended recipient.