help with inittab

Chris Dumoulin cdumoulin at ics-ltd.com
Fri Jun 9 06:41:54 EST 2006

I am using the linux kernel 2.6.15 and initrd ramdisk image from ELDK
4.0. Currently, I seem to be able to boot without errors, but after the
root filesystem is mounted, things just stop.

I'm guessing that my problems are related to the setup of the RFS, and
more specifically, my inittab file. Here is the output I get at boot time:
Linux version 2.6.15 (cdumoulin at localhost.localdomain) (gcc version
4.0.0 (DENX ELDK 4.0 4.0.0)) #167 PREEMPT Thu Jun 8 6Built 1 zonelists
Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,57600 ip=off
PID hash table entries: 512 (order: 9, 8192 bytes)
Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Dentry cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
Memory: 62120k available (968k kernel code, 272k data, 76k init, 0k highmem)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (no cpio magic); looks like an
initrd
Freeing initrd memory: 1404k freed
Linux NoNET1.0 for Linux 2.6
io scheduler noop registered
io scheduler anticipatory registered
io scheduler deadline registered
io scheduler cfq registered
Software Watchdog Timer: 0.07 initialized. soft_noboot=0 soft_margin=60
sec (nowayout= 0)
ipmi message handler version 38.0
ipmi device interface
IPMI Watchdog: driver initialized
i8042.c: No controller found.
Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
serial8250: ttyS0 at MMIO 0x0 (irq = 24) is a 16550A
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 4096K size 1024 blocksize
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).

And here is my initttab file:
::sysinit:/etc/rc.sh
::askfirst:/bin/sh
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a
::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
::restart:/sbin/init

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris Dumoulin
--
*--Christopher Dumoulin--*
Software Team Leader

<http://ics-ltd.com/>
<http://ics-ltd.com/>

Interactive Circuits and Systems Ltd.
5430 Canotek Road
Ottawa, ON
K1J 9G2
(613)749-9241
1-800-267-9794 (USA only)

This e-mail is private and confidential and is for the addressee only.
If misdirected, please notify us by telephone and confirm that it has
been deleted from your system and any hard copies destroyed. You are
strictly prohibited from using, printing, distributing or disseminating
it or any information contained in it save to the intended recipient.