VFS: Cannot open root device ...

Chris Dumoulin cdumoulin at ics-ltd.com
Fri Jun 9 03:20:05 EST 2006

I'm trying to port a 2.6 kernel to a V2Pro-based board that I've got. I
get the following output when trying to boot:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

I'm trying to use an initrd RAMDISK, and I've made sure that RAMDISK and
initrd support are both enabled in the kernel configuration. Any ideas
would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris Dumoulin
--
*--Christopher Dumoulin--*
Software Team Leader

<http://ics-ltd.com/>
<http://ics-ltd.com/>

Interactive Circuits and Systems Ltd.
5430 Canotek Road
Ottawa, ON
K1J 9G2
(613)749-9241
1-800-267-9794 (USA only)

This e-mail is private and confidential and is for the addressee only.
If misdirected, please notify us by telephone and confirm that it has
been deleted from your system and any hard copies destroyed. You are
strictly prohibited from using, printing, distributing or disseminating
it or any information contained in it save to the intended recipient.