a problem of kernel-module version mismatch.

Arnd Bergmann arnd.bergmann at de.ibm.com
Fri Jun 9 01:25:37 EST 2006

On Thursday 08 June 2006 15:52, Ming Liu wrote:
> >The easiest way is usually to put the driver in your source tree
> >and compile everything together. That also makes it easier to
> >distribute the complete source tree to your users.
>
> Sorry that I am a novice in Linux. I don't know how can I put the driver in
> my source tree and compile everything together. It looks like that there is
> no option in the menuconfig to choose a specially customed peripheral. So I
> think I only can include the customed peripheral as a module. Could you
> please say in a detail on how to do that?

The most simple way would be to put it into linux/drivers/misc and add it
to the Makefile in there.

> > > insmod: unresolved symbol XIo_In32
> > > insmod: unresolved symbol XIO_Out32
> >
> >that looks like part of your module is missing. Try to find where thses
> >functions are defined in there and why that isn't compiled.
>
> It's very strange because I have checked the source. In the header file of
> xio.h, there are the following sentences,
>
> /************************** Function Prototypes
> ******************************/
>
> /* The following functions allow the software to be transportable across
>  * processors which may use memory mapped I/O or I/O which is mapped into a
>  * seperate address space such as X86.  The functions are better suited for
>  * debugging and are therefore the default implementation. Macros can
> instead
>  * be used if USE_IO_MACROS is defined.
>  */
> #ifndef USE_IO_MACROS

The comment tells you that you either need to implement these functions
youself or #define USE_IO_MACROS in the code before this.

> /* Functions */
> Xuint8 XIo_In8(XIo_Address InAddress);
> Xuint16 XIo_In16(XIo_Address InAddress);
> Xuint32 XIo_In32(XIo_Address InAddress);
>
> void XIo_Out8(XIo_Address OutAddress, Xuint8 Value);
> void XIo_Out16(XIo_Address OutAddress, Xuint16 Value);
> void XIo_Out32(XIo_Address OutAddress, Xuint32 Value);
>
> #else
>
> /* The following macros allow optimized I/O operations for memory mapped
> I/O
>  * Note that the SYNCHRONIZE_IO may be moved by the compiler during
>  * optimization.
>  */
>
> #define XIo_In8(InputPtr)  (*(volatile Xuint8  *)(InputPtr));
> SYNCHRONIZE_IO;
> #define XIo_In16(InputPtr) (*(volatile Xuint16 *)(InputPtr));
> SYNCHRONIZE_IO;
> #define XIo_In32(InputPtr) (*(volatile Xuint32 *)(InputPtr));
> SYNCHRONIZE_IO;
>
> #define XIo_Out8(OutputPtr, Value)  \
>     { (*(volatile Xuint8  *)(OutputPtr) = Value); SYNCHRONIZE_IO; }
> #define XIo_Out16(OutputPtr, Value) \
>     { (*(volatile Xuint16 *)(OutputPtr) = Value); SYNCHRONIZE_IO; }
> #define XIo_Out32(OutputPtr, Value) \
>     { (*(volatile Xuint32 *)(OutputPtr) = Value); SYNCHRONIZE_IO; }
>
> #endif

These macros are probably broken on powerpc.

> I think these are the defination of XIo_In32 and XIo_Out32. Also, during
> the compilation, there is no error to complain that "XIo_In32 or XIo_Out32
> undeclared".

I would suggest you remove that part of the header file completely, and
replace it with:

#define XIo_In32(p) in_le32(x)
#define XIO_Out32(p,v) out_le32(p, v)

	Arnd <><