MPC85xx PCI transfer disconnect

Martin, Tim tim.martin at viasat.com
Sat Jun 3 03:33:45 EST 2006

More information...

> > Did you enable Memory Read Multiple command of your PCI master?
>
> Thanks for the clue.  I'm trying to figure out how to do this.  The
PCI
> master is a Tundra TSI148 VME-PCI bridge.  The documentation says it
> supports the PCI read multiple cycle, but so far I haven't found a
> register to specifically configure it.  I'll check the C/BE lines to
see
> if a PCI read multiple cycle is being issued.

After grepping through the Tundra documentation more closely, I found
this tidbit:

"Memory read multiple: The memory read multiple command is used when the
requested byte count is greater than 32 bytes."

> I have confirmed that 64 bytes are being transferred before the
MPC85xx
> disconnects the transfer.  If the PCI master initiates a 32 byte or 64
> byte read, the MPC85xx does not disconnect the transfer.

After scaning more logic analyzer captures, I noticed that occasionally
the MPC85xx inserts additional wait states (by deasserting TRDY#) after
only 32 bytes have been transferred.  So it definitely appears that (the
way I have things configured now) there's a 20-80ns delay after 1 cache
line is read, and the MPC85xx disconnects transfers that are larger than
2 cache lines.

Tim