uboot environment variables size for Yosemite board.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jul 17 17:00:18 EST 2006

In message <FAB00A8DC59FAB42B13C2B3B0F6877010D14478B at ehost011-3.exch011.intermedia.net> you wrote:

> I'm using uboot-1.1.4 for AMCC PPC440E Yosemite board. I've downloaded

Note that this is off topic here. You should have posted this on  the
U-Boot-Users mailing list instead.

> this uboot from DENX site. It uses EEPROM to store environment
> variables. Since EEPROM on Yosemite board is only 512 bytes, there can
> not be more environment variables which is not very convenient.

Thisi s wrong. The Yosemite configuration uses (like most (all?) AMCC
eval boards - two redundand flash sectors to store  the  environment.
And available environment size is 8 kB:

	=> print
	Environment size: 1355/8187 bytes

> There is theoretical possibility to save these variables on flash (64M
> from which I use only part) and yosemite.h header file even has defines,
> allowing this option. But is it going work in reality? What is simplest
> way for Yosemite board to increase environment variables storage space?

I have no idea where you got your board configuration from, but it is
definitely   not   current   code,   nor   the   binary   image    at
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/u-boot/images/amcc/yosemite/u-boot.bin

The current code does use (redundand) flash for environment storage.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The idea of male and female are universal constants.
	-- Kirk, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8