JTAG PPC info ?

David H. Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasys.net
Sat Jul 15 03:04:54 EST 2006

bennett78 at digis.net wrote:
> Quoting "David H. Lynch Jr." <dhlii at dlasys.net>:
>

>>     Has anyone not covered by non-disclosure deciphered the JTAG codes
>> for the PowerPC ?
>>

> Is this a big secret or just skimpy Freescale documentation?
> Try emailing:
>      Ed.Nuckolls at freescale.com
> This effort could help expand projects such as:
>       http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtager/
> for us embedded powerpc users!
>
> For myself, right now I can't get much help from Abatron turning
> on a new MPC5200 design. My approach: debugging modified u-boot code
> running out of RAM....lots of machine checks!

    It is my understanding that certain aspects of JTAG are specific to
the target (chip) for most devices that information is documented.
    Some processors treat the JTAG communications to the processor as
proprietary.
     Some make the information readily available.

    It is my understanding that the interface to the PPC is only
available under NDA from IBM.

    My client is building a wholely OpenSource SDK to support developing
for their target.
    They have their own pseudo JTAG interface - on the host side it
emulates a JTAG Parallel port in software.
    On the target side it is a full hardware JTAG.
    They are trying to get a gdbserver working and there is no
OpenSource GdbServer that includes PPC support.

    Right now they have a back burner project decyphering the the PPC
interface and are working through it slowly.