JFFS2 FS is read-only (not what I want)

Mathieu Deschamps mathieu.deschamps at com2gether.net
Mon Jul 3 20:42:35 EST 2006

Hello Ben,

On Saturday 01 July 2006 23:13, Ben Warren wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I boot from a JFFS2 file system on my eval board, the file system
> is effectively read-only, and I can't figure out why.  I'm pretty sure
> the kernel's configured for R/W MTD block access.  Any help is greatly
> appreciated.

Do you mean that you can't even created a void file on / as root ? Else
can you then put for instance text in it ? My point is can or can't you
first create a new fs node and then can you write to file your
changes, that's two possible causes.

> The hardware in use is:
>
> Freescale MPC8349EMDS eval board.
> 8MB Q-flash with 64 uniform 128k sectors

[...]

> # mount
> /dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw)
> /proc on /proc type proc (rw)

[...]
> I created the MTD partitions in a u-boot image that was pulled from the

Yes indeed what about drivers/mtd/maps/physmap.c ? your parts are
mask_flags:  MTD_WRITEB_WRITEABLE and not  MTD_CAP_ROM,
aren't they ?

> GIT tree about a week ago, and my kernel is 2.6.17-based.  I wrote some
> board init code that sets the MTD physical mappings.
>
> Here are the MTD and JFFS2 parts of my .config file:
>
> ***
> # Memory Technology Devices (MTD)
> #
> CONFIG_MTD=y
> # CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG is not set
> # CONFIG_MTD_CONCAT is not set
> CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS=y
> # CONFIG_MTD_REDBOOT_PARTS is not set
> # CONFIG_MTD_CMDLINE_PARTS is not set

[...]
> # CONFIG_JFFS_FS is not set
> CONFIG_JFFS2_FS=y

Better avoid redundacy but this is not a clue, I guess
make won't be fooled by this.

> CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_DEBUG=0
> # CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_WRITEBUFFER is not set
> # CONFIG_JFFS2_SUMMARY is not set
> # CONFIG_JFFS2_COMPRESSION_OPTIONS is not set
> CONFIG_JFFS2_ZLIB=y
> CONFIG_JFFS2_RTIME=y
> # CONFIG_JFFS2_RUBIN is not set
> ***
>
> The file system is the SELF that is included with DENX's ELDK, and built
> as at:
> http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/RootFileSystemDesignAndBuilding
>
> I used the following command to create the file system image, that was
>
> then loaded at address 0xfe480000 via U-boot:
>  > mkfs.jffs2 -U -d rootfs -D rootfs_device.tab -b -e 0x20000 -o jffs2.img

IMHO, it's not a generation-time issue

[...]

That's all I have for now. Good luck.

Regards,

Mathieu Deschamps
Com2gether Design Center
Electronic and Embedded Engineering Services
www.com2gether.net