Getting started with Xilinx V4 PPC?

Paula Saameño gnathita at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 18:44:42 EST 2006

Hi!!

I was pretty new to embedded linux as well, but I can recommend you using
2.4 kernel. The 2.6 version is not fully adapted to V4 yet, since the
ethernet drivers for the Xilinx EMAC hasn't been released, neither the ones
for other specific devices.

I used 2.4_devel, and it works fine for me. My design for the FPGA is
composed by an uart, the ethernet mac, i2c, ddr memory and interrupt
controller, and the kernel 2.4 is ok making the corresponding modifications
(adding xparameters.h and the other drivers generated by EDK).

However, here are some patches for the kernel 2.6 on the ml403 and the
Xilinx reference design:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/

See January and there are 9 patches that maybe are useful for you. I got it
running on my ml403 board, but there is no network support for Xilinx yet,
and that's why I recommended you the 2.4.

Hope being helpful!
Paula