Qt, forks and threads = segmentation faults?

Russell McGuire rmcguire at uwbt.com
Sat Jan 28 11:30:42 EST 2006

Everyone,

This is a more general question, and if anyone knows of a more specialized
list this should be posted to, I'd be happy to do so...

Small picture of hardware:
DENX Linux 2.4.25 / PowerPC MPC8280 / 32 MBs of RAM

I am using QT Embedded for a small GUI that does BSD sockets, also using
DENX's SM501 video driver. Everything is quite stable, recently I added a
additional process to the application using fork() for the listening
'accept' call for the sockets.

After many tests I decided that due to the nature of the fork() command and
the GUI half of the program, that this was a large waste of memory, as I was
duplicating the entire GUI system. So I started looking alternatives, and
have landed at the 'pthread' library.

However, now I have lots of segmentation faults, particularly when I send a
message using QT's postEvent commands back to the main thread.

I was curious if anyone had any better idea of a more stable or perhaps a
suggestion on why I am able to only get about 30 seconds of run time out of
the app using pthread, verses fork() seems to be much stabler.

-Russ