Linux kernel and u-boot debugging with Eclipse IDE

IGOR LURI iluri at fagorautomation.es
Thu Jan 26 21:45:24 EST 2006

We have rev. B CPU (MPC5200LiteB evaluation board), and we have found that Eclipse don´t see difference between two files with the same name but different path, that's why we thought Eclipse had problems understanding u-boot symbols.

Now, we have removed all folders under "board" and "cpu" except "icecube" and "mpc5xxx". Also we have removed "lib_arm", "lib_i386", etc. except "lib_generic" and "lib_ppc" folders, and we have debugged u-boot until it relocates in RAM. At this point, the stack is moved from internal SRAM to the SDRAM. Eclipse has problems when it examines the stack and it shows the folowing error message:

					< instantanea21.png >

In the other hand, if we see the backtrace with DDD, it shows the same error but it continues showing the stack.

					< instantanea11.png >

Answering people who says Metrowerks IDE is better than DDD etc., we could say that Eclipse IDE is a very good choice, even better  than Metrowerks and its open source.

Igor Luri
R&D Software Department
Fagor Automation S. Coop.