Linux kernel and u-boot debugging with Eclipse IDE

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 25 22:42:47 EST 2006

In message <918EB199DDDFFA42BEA2EB3A1C6021F399AFAD at correo.fagorautomation.net> you wrote:

> We have a MPC5200Lite board running Linux 2.4.25 and u-boot 1.1.4. We
> are able to debug Linux kernel and U-boot using DDD/GDB and BDI2000, and
> we are trying to use Eclipse IDE (with CDT plugin) / BDI2000 to develop
> and debug software.

Are you sure that U-Boot and Kernel debugging works fine with GDB? So
is this a rev. B CPU then? If not, please read the errata!

> Eclipse works well to remote debugging aplications over ethernet,
> however, we are not able to debug Linux kernel or u-boot using Eclipse.
> When it stops in the first breakpoint, I can´t view some variables and
> stepping into a function, it shows another. It  seems that Eclipse has
> problems with Linux kernel and u-boot symbols.

My guess is that what you see is the effects of  the  chip  errata  -
please read the errata sheet.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything  to  add,
but when there is no longer anything to take away.
                                           - Antoine de Saint-Exupery