u-boot debugging

bennett78 bennett78 at digis.net
Sat Jan 21 07:40:46 EST 2006

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>In message <4A062D477D842B4C8FC48EA5AF2D41F201AC2CC8 at us-bv-m23.global.tektronix.net> you wrote:
>

>>Besides, the BDI has only a 10Mbps Ethernet interface.  It might be
>>enough for simple debug operation but they should
>>Have put a 100Mbps link to put it on a shared network.  For an isolated
>>network configuration, it should suffice...

Yeah this thread is covering a broad range of JTAG debug. There
are debuggers that range form $50 to $50k with no JTAG standard.
$50 wigglers that are painfully slow because they bit-bang the parallel
port and $50k Gigabit interface with GBs of fast memory that can "capture
bugs" in realtime (that is if you can define/setup the trigger condition to
capture "the bug", but for a 400MHz processor that may only mean 1-2
seconds of data).  The BDI is a nice product for $2k, wish I would of
thought of designing it. You can either communicate with it directly for
single step, breakpointing, etc, but the coolness is the capability to run
remote gdb, then there is insight which is a gui that runs ontop of gdb....
works great debugging u-boot and kernel/user code later....but the best
part is no need for windose and with DENX you don't have to pay big
$ to metrowerks, greenhills or the like and wait while they develop or
if they will ever develop debugger software for your target!

--

*/Frank Bennett
Technical Contractor/*

/Triad Systems Engineering