Suggestions for a PPC440 board?

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Fri Jan 13 12:40:45 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm evaluating the Yosemite 440EP board at the moment,
with the intention of using it on custom compactPCI
boards. I've got a few questions to ask the group, but
I'll leave those for another email.

In the final system, the cPCI host will be an x86 CPU
(since I already have them), and the cPCI peripherals
will be the 440EP custom boards --- so my intended
target for the 440EP is as a peripheral, whereas the
Yosemite is a host-only development platform (but,
still I have a lot to learn, so its a good place to
start).

To help with the development of PCI drivers, I was thinking
of getting a pre-existing 440-based cPCI board. I haven't
found any 440EP boards, but there are a few 440GP and
440GX boards out there. I need the 440EP FPU in the
real system, but for driver development, one of these
machines would do.

So I have located a few boards, mostly designed as
PMC carrier baseboards. Has anyone used these?

Actis computer       CSBC-6440        440GP
Momentum Computer    Civet-C          440GP
Extreme Engineering  XChange1100/2/4  440GX

Since these boards are designed as carrier boards,
they all use a 21555 transparent/or non-transparent
PCI-to-PCI bridge. I was planning to connect the
440EP directly to the cPCI bus (or at least via
3.3V/5V buffers), so the driver designed against one
of these carrier boards would not quite be identical
(since the host would talk to the 21555 bridge,
not the 440 bridge). So, I might not follow this
route. Alternatively, I could use a PMC, or PrPMC
board, and develop the drivers that way, eg.

Extreme Engineering    Xpedite1000/1  440GX
Artisyn Technologies   PmPPC          440GP

So - anyone have a favorite?

Cheers
Dave Hawkins
Caltech.