Can ELDK 3.1.1 compile Linux 2.6 Kernel?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 12 07:37:25 EST 2006

In message <20060111083657.77699.qmail at web53707.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

>   I just downloaded ELDK 3.1.1 (from denx) and LINUX kernel 2.6 (from kernel.org), and I compile the kernel for powerpc arch.
>
>   but during I compile to the file under the directory vdso32, the following compile errors occur:
>
>   arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso32/gettimeofday.S: Assembler messages:
>   arch/powerpc/kernel/vdso32/gettimeofday.S:28: Error: unknown pseudo-op: `.cfi_startproc'

Yes, they changed the Linux kernel such that it  cannot  be  compiled
any more using binutils version 2.14 which is used in ELDK 3.x

>   What's wrong with my compiler? Or ELDK cannot compile 2.6 kernel? What I can do now?

Please wait until the end of the week, then download ELDK  4.0,  then
be happy ;-)

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"To IBM, 'open' means there is a modicum  of  interoperability  among
some of their equipment."                            - Harv Masterson