VFS: Cannot open root device "31:03" or unknown-block(31,3)

David Jander david.jander at protonic.nl
Thu Jan 5 18:52:44 EST 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 04:29, you wrote:
> Hi, David,
>   I get the complete bootlog and .config here. Please see the
> attached files. I copy the bootlog into .config.
>   And my NFS can mount root file system ok, but can not
> execute any program. Once the program load into system and
> run, the system crash.
>   I am new in this field and thank you for your help.
> Regards,
> /HappyPhot

in your .config:

> CONFIG_JFFS2_FS=m

This is wrong. You have to choose "y", not "m" (for module).
This way jffs2 is compiled as a module. That means, that jffs2 filesystem will
not be available until the module is loaded with "insmod jffs2" of something
similar. That in turn means that your system has to start up first in order
to be able to do this, but since you can't start because your root filesystem
is on jffs2, you have created yourself a "chicken and egg" problem.
If you choose "y" then jffs2 support will be compiled into the kernel, and
thus be available before booting.

In your bootlog:

> Linux version 2.6.14.2 (happy at sddlinux1) (gcc version 3.3.3 (DENX ELDK 3.1.1
> 3.3.3-10)) #29 Sun Jan 1 22:34:28 CST 2006
> Motorola SPS Sandpoint Test Platform

I see you are using DENX ELDK 3.1.1 and a kernel which AFAIK is not supported
by this version of ELDK. Are you sure this is supposed to work? It probably
will, but I don't know what the "Sandpoint" is (it looks like a PowerPC
processor of the MPC7xx series to me), so I couldn't tell.

Greetings,

--
David Jander