mmap

Brett McNerney mcnernbm at notes.udayton.edu
Thu Jan 5 17:16:29 EST 2006

I have been trying to work with mmap to read and write to a custom hardware
module on a Xilinx virtex 4 board with linux running on the ppc.  But I have
gotten many different errors.  But the main one I am seeing is segmentation
error.  Below is the code I am using.  The device has a 256 address size
specified in the Xilinx tools and the base address I set in the Xilinx tools
was 0x81000000.  Am I doing something wrong in the code?  Any help would be
greatly appreciated as we have decided to try this method instead of using a
driver built into the kernel as this allows us some more flexibility.  Also
the hardware module I am using for testing contains 3 hardware registers
which adds two of the registers and returns the result in the third one.

I am open for other options on how I can do this other then mmap.  And am
still not against a driver built into the kernel if someone has a an example
I could see and can explain how to add it in so it builds into the kernel
since I have had no success on that either and have tried a couple different
tutorials I found online with no success.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Brett

#include <stdio.h>

#include <sys/types.h>

#include <sys/stat.h>

#include <fcntl.h>

#include <sys/mman.h>

int main(void) {

      int fd;

      int *p;

      fd = open("/dev/mem, O_RDWR);

      p = (int *)mmap(0, 256, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,

                              MAP_PRIVATE, fd, 0x81000000);

      if (p == MAP_FAILED) {

            printf("Err: cannot access adder!/n");

            return -1;

      }

      printf("input two numbers: ");

      scanf("%d", &p);

      scanf("%d", &p+1);

      printf("%d + %d = %d\n", *p, *(p+1), *(p+2));

      munmap(p,256);

      close(fd);

      return 0;

}