Gianfar is slower than fcc_enet on MPC8541 ???

Andy Fleming afleming at freescale.com
Fri Feb 24 07:08:19 EST 2006

On Feb 23, 2006, at 11:28, Laurent Lagrange wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I tried the below Andy's idea. It works fine.
> It is my TCP clients which now slow the traffic.
>
> But I don't know why the default timeouts are so high.
> If the traffic is high, the timeout does not fire.
> If the traffic is low, the timeout seems too long (???).

The answer there is simple: stupidity!  :)  I just didn't carefully
test the values for performance when I chose them.  I probably also
did the math wrong, because I was more concerned about seeing if it
worked at all.  It's also possible it got set that way to see a
measurable difference to prove it was working, and then got left as
the default.  Rest assured, there was not a deliberate reason.  We
submitted a patch once this performance issue was discovered.