PowerQUICC II Pro MPC8349E-MDS Linux 2.6 support

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Thu Feb 16 11:01:22 EST 2006

>> ... for the MPC8349E-MDS board?
>
> Yes, Freescale names the board four different things durings its
> development (ADS, SYS, MDS, ok maybe only three :)

Ok, great.

>>In the Denx source, there is modified versions for the
>>TQM board, but I wasn't sure what platform the original
>>files were targeted for.
>
> Not sure, I follow.  The MPC834x MDS was the first 834x system supported.

Sorry, my fault, I wasn't clear.

I was just referring to the fact that in addition to your
source, the Denx tree also has the work they are doing on
the TQM board that contains an 8349E.

> However, if you are looking at 834x, I recommend you grab my u-boot tree
> from kernel.org since it has support for booting the kernel with a flat
> device tree.  From 2.6.16, all future 83xx work will be done in
> arch/powerpc which requires a flat dev tree to boot.

Ok.

The reason I was asking, was that I want to benchmark an 8349E
based system. Wolfgang Denx mentioned the TQM system, so I took
a look in the Denx tree, and saw that their work was based
on yours. I assumed your work was for a Freescale reference board,
but didn't know which.

Thanks for the clarification.

Dave