PowerQUICC II Pro MPC8349E-MDS Linux 2.6 support

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Feb 16 10:45:25 EST 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, David Hawkins wrote:

> Hi Kumar,
>
> I saw your email earlier, so figured you were listening in
> on the PPC group at the moment.
>
> In the recent 2.6 kernel source, you authored the file:
>
> arch/ppc/platforms/83xx/mpc834x_sys.h and .c
>
> are these files for the MPC8349E-MDS board?

Yes, Freescale names the board four different things durings its
development (ADS, SYS, MDS, ok maybe only three :)

> In the Denx source, there is modified versions for the
> TQM board, but I wasn't sure what platform the original
> files were targeted for.

Not sure, I follow.  The MPC834x MDS was the first 834x system supported.

However, if you are looking at 834x, I recommend you grab my u-boot tree
from kernel.org since it has support for booting the kernel with a flat
device tree.  From 2.6.16, all future 83xx work will be done in
arch/powerpc which requires a flat dev tree to boot.

- kumar